CLICK ON PHOTO TO ORDER NOW!
ICON Artworks is proud to pay tribute to the beloved Duke University mascot with our Officially Licensed BLUE DEVILS Desktop Sculptures! A perfect gift for students, alumni, faculty, and fans alike! GO DUKE!!
According to their official website, the Blue Devils name was inspired by French soldiers in World World I, nicknamed "Les Diables Bleus" (French for Blue Devils). They were strong, specially trained, fierce fighters dressed in blue capes. When the U.S. became involved in WW I, Les Diables Bleus toured the U.S. to gain support and money for the War and left a lasting impression on Americans.
When football was reinstated after the War, Trinity College (which later became Duke University) was looking for a team name. They already decided their colors would be blue and white, but couldn't decide on a mascot to match the color palate. The Trinity Chronicle, their student newspaper, held a mascot-naming contest and the Blue Devils was an initial favorite. However, some skepticism erupted with Trinity College's tie to the Methodist Church. Eventually, the Blue Devils name stuck, and it's here to stay.
- Created by acclaimed sculptor Robin Richerson of ICON Artworks
- Offered in Cast Pewter and Bronze Plated Cast Pewter
- The Duke Blue Devils Desktop Sculptures stand 9-inches in height (including base) and have a total weight of 5 lbs.
- Each sculpture is mounted on a round, black Belgian marble base which can be customized or personalized with laser engraving to commemorate any event or achievement (e.g., Graduation). Click here to view custom engraving samples.
- Officially Licensed by Duke University and IMG College Licensing
- First Edition is individually numbered, limited to 1000
- Includes a Certificate of Authenticity signed by the Artist
- MADE IN USA
ICON Artworks Cast Pewter is handcrafted by our team of skilled artisans with an antique finish in the highest quality, lead-free Fine Pewter alloy used for sculpture. After platinum, gold, and silver, pewter is the fourth-most-precious metal in the world. Pewter has been used since the Bronze Age because of its lustrous silver finish, its malleability, durability and its ability to capture incredibly fine detail. Pewter does not rust or deteriorate and can be enjoyed for generations.
PLEASE NOTE REGARDING ENGRAVING: To include engraving, select "Add Engraving" when placing your order and input your message at "Checkout." Custom graphics or logos can be incorporated. Email us at Contact@iconartworks.com with any questions you may have.
(Source notes: The Story of the Duke Mascot - Duke University Libraries)