Michigan State University
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ORDER NOW!
ICON Artworks is proud to pay tribute to the beloved Michigan State University mascot...SPARTY...and the iconic SPARTANS HELMET!
The Spartan ideal gained favor in 1858, when Sen. Justin Smith Morrill of Vermont, the author of the Land Grant Act that created MSU, promised to make Michigan schools like those of ancient Sparta, whose "graduates would know how to sustain American institutions with American vigor." But Spartan warriors had to wait because the Michigan Agricultural College primarily trained farmers. At the turn of the century, students rallied to slogans such as "Ye can't fool the Farmers, by heck," or "There'll be a hot time, on the old farm tonight."
When the school became Michigan State College in 1925, students wanted a nickname other than "Aggies" or "Farmers." They held a formal contest, to which entries such as "Fawns," "Pioneers," "Statesmen," and even "Bearcats" (in honor of "the Stutz," an automobile coveted by students) were submitted. Although "Michigan Staters" won the prize, it was too long for headlines and lacked the right zing for the sports page. So George Alderton of the State Journal and Dale Stafford of the Capitol News dug through the rejected entries and chose Perry J. Fremont's submission: "Spartans." Within a few days, The State News embraced the new name, and within a year "The Gods of Sparta" was the water carnival theme at the university. The MSU "Fight Song," written by cheerleader F. I. Lankey in 1906, was revised from "Their specialty is farming, but those farmers play football," to "Their specialty is winning, and those Spartans play good ball."
Our Sparty & Spartans Helmet Desktop Sculptures are the perfect gift for students, faculty, alumni and fans alike! GO SPARTANS!
- Created by acclaimed sculptor Robin Richerson of ICON Artworks
- Offered in Cast Pewter and Bronze Plated Cast Pewter
- The Sparty Desktop Sculpture is available in two sizes - 6.5-inch and 9-INCH (including base) - 6.5-inch Total Weight: 2 lbs.; 9-INCH Total Weight: 5 lbs.
- The Spartans Helmet Desktop Sculpture is available in two sizes - 6.5-inch and 10-INCH (including base) - 6.5-inch Total Weight: 2 lbs.; 10-INCH Total Weight: 5 lbs.
- Each sculpture is mounted on a round, museum-quality Black Belgian Marble base which can be customized or personalized with laser engraving to commemorate any event or achievement (e.g., Graduation). Click here to view custom engraving samples.
- Officially Licensed by Michigan State University and IMG College Licensing
- First Edition is individually numbered, limited to 1000
- Includes a Certificate of Authenticity signed by the Artist
- MADE IN USA
ICON Artworks Cast Pewter is handcrafted by our team of skilled artisans with an antique finish in the highest quality, lead-free Fine Pewter alloy used for sculpture. After platinum, gold, and silver, pewter is the fourth-most-precious metal in the world. Pewter has been used since the Bronze Age because of its lustrous silver finish, its malleability, durability and its ability to capture incredibly fine detail. Pewter does not rust or deteriorate and can be enjoyed for generations.
PLEASE NOTE REGARDING ENGRAVING: To include engraving, select "Add Engraving" when placing your order and input your message at "Checkout." Custom graphics or logos can be incorporated. Email us at Contact@iconartworks.com with any questions you may have.
(Source notes: MSU Traditions - Spartan Athletics)