The University of Alabama
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ORDER NOW! ROLL TIDE!!
ICON Artworks is proud to pay tribute to the beloved University of Alabama mascot with our officially licensed CRIMSON TIDE Desktop Sculpture! A perfect gift for students, alumni, faculty, and fans alike! ROLL TIDE!!
The story of how Alabama became associated with the "elephant" goes back to the 1930 season when Coach Wallace Wade had assembled a great football team.
Sportswriter Everett Strupper of the Atlanta Journal wrote a story of the Alabama-Mississippi game he had witnessed in Tuscaloosa. Strupper wrote, "That Alabama team...is powerful, big, tough, fast, aggressive, well-schooled in fundamentals, and the best blocking team that I have ever seen. When those big brutes hit you I mean you go down and stay down, often for an additional two minutes.
Coach Wade had started his 2nd Team and... "At the end of the (1st) quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, 'Hold your horses, the elephants are coming,' and out stampeded the Alabama varsity.
Strupper and other writers continued to refer to the Alabama linemen as "Red Elephants," the color referring to the crimson jerseys.
- Created by acclaimed sculptor Tim Wolfe of ICON Artworks
- Handcrafted in Cast Pewter and Bronze Plated Cast Pewter
- The Crimson Tide Desktop Sculpture stands 6.5 inches in height (including base). Total Weight: 5.75 lbs.
- Each sculpture is mounted on a rectangular, black Belgian marble base which can be customized or personalized with laser engraving to commemorate any event or achievement (e.g., Graduation). Click here to view custom engraving samples.
- Officially Licensed by the University of Alabama and Learfield IMG College Licensing
- First Edition is individually numbered, limited to 1000
- Includes a Certificate of Authenticity signed by the Artist
- MADE IN USA
ICON Artworks Cast Pewter is handcrafted by our team of skilled artisans with an antique finish in the highest quality, lead-free Fine Pewter alloy used for sculpture. After platinum, gold, and silver, pewter is the fourth-most-precious metal in the world. Pewter has been used since the Bronze Age because of its lustrous silver finish, its malleability, durability, and its ability to capture incredibly fine detail. Pewter does not rust or deteriorate and can be enjoyed for generations.
PLEASE NOTE REGARDING ENGRAVING: To include engraving, select "Add Engraving" when placing your order and input your message at "Checkout." Custom graphics or logos can be incorporated. Email us at Contact@iconartworks.com with any questions you may have.
(Source notes: University of Alabama: The Elephant Story)